Auburn Clay Arts
808 Lincoln Way
Open Studio Hours
Mon 1 PM - 4 PM
Tues 9 AM - 4 PM
Wed 1 PM - 4 PM, 6 PM - 9 PM
Thurs 9 AM - 4 PM
Fri 9 AM - 4 PM
Sat 1 PM - 4 PM
*doors closed for lunch from 12-1
Intermediate Wheel Throwing
10-week course with Jon Barker
This 10-week course is designed with the intermediate potter in mind. We will be expanding on the vessel shapes learned in the beginning course while learning to throw bigger and more dimensional pots. We will take a deeper dive with forms like teapots and lidded jars, and we will refine our skills with making handles and spouts. Advanced glazing and decorating techniques, such as sgraffito, will be covered.
Course prerequisite: You must have at least one beginning course under your belt, or prior experience with the wheel. You should be comfortable making modest-sized cylinders and bowls with 2 lbs of clay or more. This course is longer than our beginning course, with the intention that this extra time will allow for meaningful skill growth.
If you have any questions or want to talk more about whether this class is right for you, please feel free to reach out to us.
This class meets Monday evenings from 6:00 PM-9:00 PM.
Winter Session: 1/2/23 - 3/6/23
Spring Session: 3/13/23 - 5/13/23
If you need to miss a class or two, you are welcome to drop in on one of Jon's other classes (provided there is space) or utilize open studio time. In fact, your course comes with free unlimited open studio time - so we encourage you to come practice, even if you don't miss class!
*Your work needs to be ready for the first (bisque) firing by the last day of the course. You may drop in to glaze your work between the end of the class and the glaze firing during regular studio hours. We perform glaze firings every 4-6 weeks.
Included in the class fee:
- Ten weekly instructor-led classes
- Unlimited open studio sessions during the dates of the course.
- 25 pounds of clay
- Access to all studio tools and glazes
- Firing of your work (subject to instructor approval)
- Course fee is refundable up to two weeks prior to the start of the course.
- Refunds will not be given if you cannot attend the course and it is less than two weeks before the start date; however, you may transfer your reservation to a future class session if there is space.